Friday 16 September 2011

Autism Superstars and Awesome-tism

A friend from the Aspergers Support Group we have on facebook suggested this programme to watch. Its great check it out.http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sf359

I love this, as dont even get me wrong, there are alot of challenges to overcome as parents and that can be overwhelming. But I dont want to live there. Personally I want to build on the amazing talents that my son does have!!! While we are integrating into a mainstream school, sometimes it baffles me that he is the one with special needs, being that really put under a microscope, all he doesnt get is social stuff and he has sensory issues that lead to meltdowns. Apart from that he has an amazing memory that I would pay money to have, learns so quickly and his understanding astounds me, but yes there are a few superficial things he is more challenged with.

You might be reading this and going, what, but what about the challenges - oh I get it about the challenges, I really do, I guess Im saying bridge the challenges by building up the negatives and build on the positives I say!!

My friend Jamie calls it Awesome-tism, as in he is all for focusing on the amazing things that children with ASD CAN DO and not all the things they CANT! Yes Jamie you made it onto my blog :>

Children with ASD have amazing talents, memory, skills, and focused areas of interest, lets build on it and go with from strength to strength, as parents we can bridge the gap of the negatives with home/school support!! and then still give them alot of happiness and contentment from their strengths, regardless of the severity.

Cheers JO :>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Helpful Reading and DVDs - Google to find more info

  • All Cats Have Aspergers
  • Aspergers syndrome in the inclusive classroom - advice and strategies for teachers
  • Cowboy and Willis - Monica Holloway
  • First Steps in intervention with your child with autism: frameworks for communication
  • NO MORE MELTDOWNS
  • Playing, Laughing and Learning with Children on the Autism Spectrum
  • The Big Blue Book - Teaching Assistants Book
  • The Big Red Book - Helpful tips in the Classroom
  • The Land Before Time DVD's - Teaches about being 'different'
  • Tips for Toileting
  • Top Ten Tips: A survival guide for families with children on the Autism Spectrum
  • Transporters DVD - Teaches Emotions

Popular Posts